Thursday, April 30, 2009

Stereotypes

L.A.
was a dream I didn’t want to wake from :(


It was such a nice change from Seattle and everything in general. Not that it erased all the stresses and the hurt that I’ve been experiencing recently- but it made it all feel so distant,
like it couldn’t touch me anymore.


One thing that surprised me was that the picture of me living there was so much clearer than it’s ever been before.

I’ve always loved Los Angeles and all the things it held, like my beloved happy place- Disneyland- of course.

And most importantly a small group of girls who mean the world to me!
But I could never see myself becoming a Californian.

I have had the Northwest pumping through my blood, and only had eyes for Seattle. There were parts of California that I loved dearly, just as I love NYC, and I often toyed with the idea of living in either place- but could never see myself there for very long.

I’d end up back in Seattle. This is where I wanted to raise my family.

Now I’m not sure if I have completely changed my mind, I still see myself raising a family here in the NW, it’s home. Only now I can definitely see myself living somewhere else for a good chunk of time.

I think I always attributed that my unique self has been because I was raised where I was raised, how I was raised. I always feared that if I lived anywhere else that didn’t already feel like it was a part of me, I’d loose myself. I would no longer have what makes me, me.

And as much as I can criticize myself and beat myself over my imperfections- I have many, but I love me. Sure I’m open for change, but I’ve been so afraid of loosing who I am.

I realized on this trip, that I am me. Nothing can change that, and I wouldn’t “turn” into any of the types of people that drive me crazy just because I’m surrounded by a majority of them.

I’m not a stereotypical Seattleite, why would I become a stereotypical Californian or New Yorker for that matter?


I am not a stereotype, and I will not become one.


Photobucket


Anyway- back to my dream I didn’t want to wake from…

Just being able to spend time with some of my favorite
people was good enough for me ;)

But we did do some pretty amazing things as well- even if we
learned that next time we will plan a bit better to cut down on
confusion/planning time during the visit ha.

Two of the highlights:

A vintage prop lot on La Brea:

Photobucket

Photobucket


Cicada Club and the Roaring 20’s Revue:

Photobucket


Photobucket


Photobucket


to be continued....